CONTACT YOUR LOCAL MP
Members in the upper house of the Victorian Parliament will soon vote on Dying with Dignity laws.
We need a majority to vote YES to give terminally ill people choice and control at the end of their lives.
That’s why we need you to speak up. Contact your local MPs in the Eastern Victoria region and tell them why Dying with Dignity laws are important to you.
Your upper house MPs in the Eastern Victoria region are:
Harriet Shing, Edward O’Donohue, Daniel Mulino, Jeff Bourman & Melina Bath.
We know that personalised messages are most effective, but here are some talking points in case you don’t know where to start:
- Assisted dying is already happening illegally behind closed doors, without any regulation or safeguards.
- Every week in Victoria, an elderly person commits suicide because they fear what’s ahead if they get sick and forced to endure an agonising death.
- Palliative care is important but it has limitations and cannot always relieve extreme pain or suffering.
- In the same way that everyone has the right to refuse treatment, everyone should also be able to chose how to manage their own pain and suffering at the end of their lives.
- For many terminally ill people, just having the option of an assisted death would relieve a huge amount of stress and anxiety, even if they don’t use it.